Thursday, April 17, 2008

On spinning and free patterns

I know I still haven't posted about the spinning class. I was hoping I would have good pics of some great yarn I made, but nope, almost a week after the class, I still suck! But the good news is that I don't suck as bad as I did last Saturday!

I realized that spinning is like anything else: some people are talented and "get it" right away. Apparently I'm not one of those people.

I may sound bitter but I'm not. It will take practice and I'm ok with that, though I'm usually a quick learner so not getting it right away is quite frustrating.

That being said, I *did* take pictures of my first yarn and the last one I made (which is already a lot better. I'm making progress). Unfortunately, my batteries died and we the "charged batteries" box in our house is empty. So pics will have to wait. The good news is that I have found a project for my first yarn: A stuffed sheep! My yarn actually looks a bit like the Ozark.

Oh and I don't want anyone to think I didn't enjoy the spinning class. I did! It was lots of fun and the instructor is super nice!

Now let's talk about free patterns. I'm sure most of you know that Magknits is gone. Many of the free patterns are available on Ravelry though. I also found out on Ravelry that some of the free patterns that used to be offered free on the Knitting Daily site are gone. That includes Kate Gilbert's super cute Peapod Baby set. I panicked at first because I looked into my pdf patterns and I didn't see it. BUT I printed it a long time ago so at least I have a copy. I love that pattern. Anyways, I'm not going to get into the reason for the disappearance of the free patterns (I only know it has something to do with contracts - I don't blame the designers at all). There's a long thread about it on the Ravelry forums.

But the whole thing really made me realize that I can't count on the free patterns I like to be there forever. So I'm going through my Ravelry queue (all 140 items) and I'm trying to save all the free patterns that I may want to knit someday. I suggest you all do the same, you never know. I would hate it if there was a pattern I really wanted to knit and found out it's not available at all anymore!

3 comments:

Montreal Mama said...

I agree with you - I plan over the next week to go through my Ravelry Queue and save all my free patterns. Here today, gone tomorrow. Always the case.

Can't wait to see your yarn pics!

Anonymous said...

And don't forget to keep a good, up-to-date, backup. When my laptop was stolen last winter, my last backup was already a few months old - much better than nothing, but still...
Keep on practicing, and your spinning will improve quickly!

Tara said...

Thanks for the suggestion, it'd be a shame to come to a pattern I really love and find out it's unavailable! I'm sooooo looking forward to my spinning class! 3 more weeks! :)