Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I'm in love...

...in love with my booga bag. Yes, I finished it! Well, actually, it's currently in the washer but I just took a peek to make sure the felting was going all right and it's gonna be gorgeous, I tell ya. I think one cycle is gonna be enough though, which is weird because I've heard a lot of people say it took them 3-4 cycles.

It sucks that it has to block and dry! I want to use it now! And I just know I'm gonna make more of them. It's so easy! And cute!

***

In other news, I don't know if anyone actually reads this blog. I'm mostly writing it so I can keep track of things I make and so I can babble incessantly about my obsession without annoying the non-knitters in my life. But if anyone reads and can help me, I'll be forever grateful.

I finally decided I wanted to make the Chinese Charm Bag from Stitch N' Bitch for my mom for Christmas. Why? Because when I showed her the book a while ago, the bag is what jumped to her the most. But as you may know, the yarn the pattern calls for (Noro Gemstones) is discontinued. I did find a few online stores who sell it, but it's quite expensive. I love my mom, but the bag requires six skeins and the exchange rate from US to Canadian dollars is terrible so it would be an expensive bag. And I want to give her other stuff too. So, I think yarn substitution is in order. But, I don't know what to use! I'd like colours that are similar to the ones in the book because I know my mom liked them. I did find some Noro Silk Garden that has similar colours, but it's mohair so I'm not sure it would look nice... I don't know. Any suggestions?

Earlier I was googling the bag to see if I could find yarn suggestions from other people who made it and I stumbled upon this:
http://knit.sushi-cat.net/index.php?p=37&c=1

Isn't that cute? It makes me want to knit a Chinese Charm bag for myself!

1 comment:

itgirl said...

Silk Garden should be fine for felting. It isn't mohair at all. I just used it in a sweater.