Thursday, November 06, 2008

Day 6 of 30

Photobucket


I know more than one States were voting on gay marriage at the same time as the presidential election, but I've mostly heard about California's Proposition 8. Now it's still not clear too me whether or not the proposition has officially passed, but it looks like it has.

"On the day after the election, the results remain uncertified, and with 100% of precincts reporting, the vote was 52.5% in favor of Proposition 8 and 47.5% against, with a difference of about 504,000 votes; as many as 3 million absentee and provisional ballots remain to be counted." (Wikipedia)

This makes me so sad, I don't even have words. I'm sad that there even was a Proposition 8 to begin with, but to know that half of Californians think they have the right to take away other couples' right to be married infuriates me.

I guess I just don't get it. Seriously, can someone explain to me why a couple shouldn't have the right to officialize their union just because they were born gay? Just because they happened to fall in love with someone of the same sex? I have yet to hear ONE SINGLE good answer. (Read 12 reasons why gay marriage is wrong. It's sarcastic, don't worry :) ).

But seriously, if someone can give me a reason why this is legal:

Photobucket

Pamela Anderson. Married three times. Divorced three times (twice after only a few months of marriage).

And this should not be legal:

Photobucket

Phyllis Lyon and Del Martin. Married in California this year. They were together 55 years (Del Martin has passed away since, unfortunately).

I know which wedding I would have liked to attend...

4 comments:

Clumsy Knitter said...

That list is HILARIOUS! I don't understand what is up with CA either. I really did think that people were more reasonable now. Guess I was wrong. :(

LotusKnits said...

Agreed, sister!

Angela said...

I think its so sad, it still shows how prejudice this country still is....I hope better for the future generations.

Montreal Mama said...

It's too bad what's happening in California. I saw Melissa Etheridge and her wife on Oprah talking about it - (at least I think it was Melissa Etheridge).... it's really sad.